top of page
  • Writer's picturePenzance AFC


Penzance Reserves suffered a single goal defeat in their last Trelawny League outing, at home to Falmouth United last Saturday.

“It was a tough one to take,” says Joint Manager Darren Smith, looking back on the game. “Our lads were looking to grab three wins from three back-to-back games with something like our full strength team available. We started well, and Anthony Nicholas was unlucky not to register a goal early on. A whipped cross fell to Tyler Dayus, but he couldn’t quite control the finish and saw his shot gathered by the keeper. Sam Payne and Charlie Harry were pulling the strings in midfield, linking the play well as we looked to grab a goal.

Our defence was handling their strikers well as we out-played Falmouth, but couldn’t quite create a clear chance. Ben Reeve was delivering several quality balls into the box, but we couldn’t find the killer ball, and it was goalless at half-time.

Our half time team talk was simple: short quick passes, up the tempo, and don’t force the play - the chances will come.

The second half began much the same with us having the lion’s share of possession, forcing Falmouth to rely on counter-attacking football. Haider Fadli was on causing trouble with his quick feet. and earned us a free kick on the edge of the box. However the wall did their job blocking Dayus’s effort. Joel Steele found himself in on goal, but a late tackle saw his effort deflected wide.

Again, defensively Joshua Reeves, James Payne and Josh Whitburn seemed to things under control before a clash of knees forced the former off. With a little over five minutes left, a counter from Falmouth saw the ball fall kindly at the feet of Archie Beckinsall ten yards out, and the centre forward gave Adrian Murley no chance.

Despite their best efforts, the lads couldn’t find a goal. Myself and Lee Major were gutted for them. We were clearly the better team, but I guess if you don’t take your chances, you always risk conceding a sucker punch goal. Falmouth management and players complimented our first half display especially. A double Man of the Match award went to Ben Reeve and Joshua Reeves. Thanks to all who attended and supported the lads today – it is always fully appreciated!”

Photos courtesy of Olly Reeves Photography

The Reserves are back at Penlee Park this Saturday (October 1st), welcoming New Inn Titans in the First Round of the League Cup. Please note the earlier kick-off time of 2pm.


bottom of page