top of page


Last night we welcomed St Buryan to Penlee Park in front of a large crowd (writes Reserves joint Manager, Daz Smith).

With Reevesy off on his holidays, Sam Payne injured and no notable goal keeper available, Payno dropped into the back line, Chaz stepped into midfield, whilst Will Trenoweth from our first team was available for selection in goal.

With chances going begging at St Buryans end early on, it was the visitors who took the lead thanks to a counter attack from one of our corners!

The ball was cleared and the St Buryan winger managed to collect just inside his own half and carry it all the way to our box before calmly sliding his effort into the net giving St Buryan a shock lead.


To be honest, the rest of the first half, was pretty scrappy and we never really clicked into top gear. There were glimpses, but our touch was off, and we appeared to be forcing the play.

That is until a goal mouth scramble saw Matt Robinson calmly square a ball to Tyler Smith on the edge of the box. Tyler laced his shot into the Buryan net grabbing us an equaliser, and a confidence booster at the same time.



After a team talk at halftime that mainly consisted of us discussing how we were again forcing the play and trying the 40 yard unnecessary wonder pass... Before some wise words from Steve and a rousing speech from Tjay, the lads knew the game was there for us if we could be patient and just get the ball down and play.

And to be fair, the second half was a marked improvement. We retained the ball far better, and showed far more composure, whilst not forcing the play aerially anymore.

We spent a large amount of time in the Buryan half with good possession and had it not been for another top display from the oppositions keeper, coupled with perhaps a lack of killer instinct and a spot of bad luck, we could have been out of sight, but unfortunately weren't...

Several chances came and went, but we felt if we kept doing what we were doing, and what we are good at something had to give... and finally, it did. A clever channelled through ball for Kizzy, saw him skip past the centre back before slamming the ball into the Buryan goal at the near post, finally putting us into a deserved lead.

With St Buryan gifted an indirect free kick late on for apparent time wasting , it was a nervy time for a minute, but the defence did their job and we snuffed the only opportunity for St Buryan in the second half out, and were able to see the game out.

Full time


Although we weren't at our best last night, we managed to get the result we wanted. The lads battled well, and the second half was a lot, lot better. To be fair, St Buryan battled well and look a far better side than last season whilst featuring some of our very own Penzance u18s, who gave good displays as well so well done and we look forward to the return fixture.

Man of the match last night has to go to Tjay. TJay was involved in a lot of positive things we did, and linked the play superbly, whilst also putting the miles in defensively. However, well done all!

Finally a massive thanks to all the supporters who made the atmosphere so enjoyable last night, both home, away and all the the neutrals.

Two days of rest now for the Reserves before our 4th game in two weeks, when this Saturday, we stay at Penlee Park, this time playing against St Day.

Ft Result:

Penzance Reserves 2-1 St Buryan

Goal scorers:

Smith Kizzy

Man of the match: Tjay


bottom of page